Ministry of Economy and Regional Development (MoERD)-Sector for Tourism, and the National Corporation for Tourism Development (NCTD)
HD-European Consulting Group-contractor (SRB);
Hulla & Co Human Dynamics KG(AT),
CHL Consulting Co. Ltd (IE),
International Tourism Institute (SI)
Project “Support to implementation of the National Strategy for Tourism” was a 2 year (May 2010- May 2012) project. It is based on the findings and conclusions of the Serbia tourism strategy 2006 that tourism needs institutionalized support in investment, financing, development and marketing in order to generate substantial increase in tourism economy i.e. income, employment, regional development, use of natural and cultural endowments and raise the standard of living.
The project is divided in 4 components:
· Component I – Institutional Support Infrastructure and Operational Plan of the National Corporation for Tourism Development
· Component II – Review of Tourism Strategy of the Republic of Serbia
· Component III – Preparation and Implementation of NCTD Support Action Plan
· Component IV – Provision to the future Action Plans: to Improve the Tourism Sector Institutional Support Infrastructure and the Serbian Tourism Product Portfolio
Project Steering committee was led by Dr Goran Petkovic, state secretary in Ministry of economy and regional development; National project director was Mrs. Vera Janković, Head of dept for international cooperation; Main beneficiary was National corporation for Tourism development – NCTD, Mr. Rafael Pupovac, director, project team leader was Mr. Janez Sirše and Mr Michael A. Jay.
Overall objective of the project “Support to implementation of the National Strategy for Tourism” was to increase the contribution of Serbia’s tourism sector to the national economy.
In 2007, the tourism sector had an employment share of around 5% and contributed between 1.5% and 1.7% to total national income. However, it is believed that this underestimates the real economic importance of tourism. For example, according to research carried out on behalf of the World Travel & Tourism Council (WTTC), the contribution of Travel & Tourism to Gross Domestic Product in Serbia is estimated at 4.2% in 2009.
Compared with neighbouring countries, the tourism sector in Serbia is clearly underperforming in terms of economic contribution to the national economy. There is a need for an improved methodology for measuring economic importance of tourism in terms of visitors’ expenditures, foreign exchange earnings, employment, government revenues, and linkages with other sectors.
Specific objectives of the project, divided in inception, implementation and completion phase, are focused to meet the purpose of this project:
1. Develop the capacity of the National corporation for Tourism development (NCTD) to fully support the implementation of the Tourism Strategy of the Republic of Serbia;
2. Identify, facilitate and develop action plans that will enable tourism products and projects generation, development of Public Private Partnership (PPP) investment in tourism and their promotion especially;
3. Provide proposals for update of Serbian Tourism Strategy and related policies in line with best EU practice;
4. Support the market positioning and branding of Serbia on the international tourism map.
NB: National corporation for Tourism Development was closed after project implementation as part of the measures for costs cutting of the public administration.