CIVIL SOCIETY FACILITY PROGRAMME 2011 Theme 1: Strengthening the Rule of Law
Total budget of programme / project
2012. Nov - 2013. Nov
- Pilot municipalities were selected (Knjaževac, Kladovo, Pirot): list of public services (mainly related with waste management) which were partially or fully funded from the municipal budget were prepared, voting/questionnaires box were placed in the towns and 2.617 citizens/voters in three pilot municipalities selected 6 public services (two per municipality) which were monitored;
- Analyses of local governments’ Decisions were done, structure and method of service providing were known for each of the selected services;
- Two two-day trainings in Serbia were created and delivered on topics: “Active citizen - an active participant in the decision-making processes” and “The rights and obligations of the holder and user utilities, the legal framework” for 30 representatives of citizens and 20 representatives of CSOs, one training in Bulgaria and three Info meetings for representatives of local CSO and capacity of CSOs who managed the monitoring process on local level, were improved;
- Five day study visit in Bulgaria was realized for 10 Serbian CSO representatives;
- Collected 1125 feedback forms of citizen monitoring were analysed;
- Two-day Regional conference was conducted in the period from 22-23. November in Knjaževac with 63 stakeholders and decision makers from Serbia and Bulgaria.
Citizens of local communities in Serbia
Knowledge Association Lovech, BG
Summary of the project
The action is focused on enhancing the regional cooperation between Serbian and Bulgarian CSOs in capacity building for monitoring and evaluation of selected public services. This helps to further improve the effectiveness of civic participation in local communities, increasing transparency and accountability of local governments and enhancing the expertise of CSOs through peer-to-peer and training-of-trainers approaches.
Overall objective of the project was to develop replicable and sustainable NGO mechanisms for ensuring greater transparency of the local governments in South East Serbia and the enhance regional cooperation between Serbian and Bulgarian NGOs in the field of capacity building for monitoring and evaluation of the public services.